The Independent Steering Committee (ISC)
The Independent Steering Committee (ISC) acts as the key advisory body to RICE and reports to the boards of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice), and Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT). It has three major roles:
- Provide strategic guidance on the major directions of research in RICE, acting primarily as the highest level scientific advisory board.
- Monitor progress towards the major objectives of RICE, and report on progress to the boards of the CGIAR centers Africa Rice, CIAT, and IRRI (Lead center).
- Be an advisory body to the RICE Program and Planning Management Team and to the boards of IRRI, Africa Rice, and CIAT; and to JIRCAS, IRD, CIRAD on the progress being made in RICE and synergies arising from enhanced collaboration.
ISC Members (Center BOTs and DGs)
- Prof. Sophie Thoyer – Professeur, Montpellier SupAgro – (AfricaRice Board of Trustees)
- Dr. Aimé Lala Razafinjara – Director General, Centre National de Recherche Appliquee au Developpement Rural (FOFIFA) – (AfricaRice Board of Trustees)
- Dr. Agnes Rola – Professor, Institute for Governance and Rural Development, College of Public Affairs and Development, UPLB – (CIAT Board of Trustees)
- Dr. Kaye Basford– President, Academic Board, The University of Queensland – (IRRI Board of Trustees)
- Dr. Suthad Setboonsarng – Board Member, Central Bank of Thailand – (IRRI Board of Trustees)
- Dr. Matthew Morell – Director General, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) – Ex officio
- Dr. Harold Roy-Macauley – Director General, Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) – Ex officio
ISC Members (Independent panel of experts)
- Dr. Pascal Kosuth – Director, Agropolis Foundation – Global (Ex-officio)
- Dr. Masa Iwanaga – President, Japan International Research Center for Agric Sciences (JIRCAS)- Regional Asia (Ex-officio)
- Dr. Luciano Lourenco Nass – Knowledge Exchange Coordinator and Secretariat for International Affairs, The Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (EMBRAPA) – Regional Latin America
- Prof. Jan Leach – University Distinguished Professor, Colorado State University – Global
- Dr. James Ambrose Agona – Director General, National Agricultural Research Organization (NARO) – Regional Africa
- Dr. Shaobing Peng – Professor and Director, Crop Physiology and Production Center, Huazhong Agricultural University – Regional Asia